Lena Dunham is not representing all of us. Her characters aren’t reflecting every 20-something girl, no matter how much the title of her show or the “plainness” of her face might make us occasionally forget otherwise. She is not speaking for all us (and nor should she), but she is speaking about some of us. For those of us who aren’t ashamed to admit it, the characters in Girls help to normalise what our lives can be like. In the same way, My Mad Fat Diary is painting a picture of what it can mean to be a teenage girl dealing with the burden of being a teenage girl. It is not the story of every mentally ill person, every teenager living in Lincolnshire in the 1990s, nor every fat girl dealing with crushes and clothes shopping and pool parties. Rae doesn’t represent all of us but, like Hannah, she’s ticking a few boxes that, up until now, have gone unchecked on TV.
My first day back this term I missed my Monday class because I have the flu. The second class I missed because I was in Toronto for a funeral. Today’s Monday class was cancelled because my professor has laryngitis. So far in 2013 I have not attended even one of my Race and Ethnicity seminars.
This also means that I showered, put of makeup, and brushed the snow off my car for nothing. It’s ranging from -30 to -36 outside right now and I’m lazy. I’d say the chance of me leaving the house again today is slim.
So today I have an extra day off! What shall I spend it doing? Procrastinating of course! I have a 10 page article to read, 170 pages of a book to read, a 2 page summary to write, research to over look and a lab report to revise. I think I’ll spend my afternoon working on the Criminal Minds Challenge while watching Shameless and Girls.
Criminal Minds starts in 5 minutes. I am so excited! I have been looking forward to this since last wednesday. Thank you CTV for finally playing it on Tuesdays like they said they would.
I should be doing so many other things, but instead I have just been sitting here for the last 30 minutes playing with screen shots of the promo and preview clip and getting more excited! (Sorry they are poor quality, I am too excited to care!)
17. Least favorite episode?
I’m a firm believer that even episodes I don’t like of shows that I love contribute greatly to the overall show. As I’ve re-watched seasons I’ve realized there are episodes I thought I really disliked that I really loved, or grew to love. There are some episodes I think are pretty rediculous, but I still love them. All that being said. My least favorite episode is probably a tie between
2.20 Honour Among Thieves
I was just starting to watch episode 2x16 “Fear and Loathing” online. I got 6 minutes in when I started to hear an echo….turns out it also happened to be playing on my TV that I hadn’t turned off yet…coincidence?
14. Favorite episode quote?
When trying to come to my answer for this I made a list of 19 quotes. Which I then narrowed down to 5. These are my final 2. they stuck with me when I first heard them, and still resonate today.
2.1 Fisher King Part 2, spoken by Reid at the end.
3.16 Elephant’s Memory Spoken by Reid at the end.
So I’ll admit it, I panicked when I saw the photo of Gubler in the tux. It is not what I thought they would ever show us. I just, I haven’t decided yet, how I feel about this…but I made a photo collage (something I don’t normally do for this stuff) of lots of the photos for that episode. Enjoy.
Criminal Minds 8x12 - “Zugzwang”
30 DAY CRIMINAL MINDS CHALLENGE
School had been nuts and I’ve actually been too stressed to make any decision, including my answers to this.
7. You’ve been kidnapped, and the BAU is doing victimology on you. What would they find in your room?
Well, I’ve decided that making a list for this will be the best.
- I’m 23 and live at home. Therefor for starters my room is down the hall from my parents
- All my records in the shoe-box in my closet, will show that I pay for almost everything myself
- My walls are full of small holes and little marks, but has very few photos actually hanging up, all are of nature, not people.
- A large amount of camera equipment
- Everything has it’s place, very organized but not clean.
- There is a lot of dust, and it hasn’t been vacuumed in a while.
- They would obviously notice the sheet of paper on the back of my door which has pointers on what to do if you have a panic attack
- Most of my clothes are inexpensive, and a lot are second hand, but in style. So I care strongly about how I look, but am careful financially. Same can be said for the large amount of beauty products, which are not very expensive.
- My desk is clearly used mainly as storage and the empty glasses, school work and magazines that are pilled surrounding my coffee table, so this its pretty clear this is where spent most of my time in here.
- The books on my shelves are separated by type and are alphabetical, and all series are in matching editions. The ones most read would be Harry Potter, Frankenstein, The Giver, No One Belongs Here More Than You, my school textbooks (which I keep for referencing,) and Stuart McLean’s books.
- Allergy medicine and dust mite covers on my sheets shows my allergies
- A small bulletin board tucked out of the way, full of a few letters, to do lists, ticket stubs, art projects, etc.
Basically my guess is that they would see that I has anxiety, that I feel a need to keep things organized because it gives me a sense of control. They may think the financial stuff connects to the reason I still live at home, to save money while in school. Honestly, I think that they would be able to deduce a lot from my room, especially about my anxiety and depression. But that it would all say more once they talked to the people in my life and combed through my laptop. Because although I share a lot of stuff with my family and friends, I also try to hid a lot, and not always on purpose.
Is it sad how excited I am to imagine them profiling me…..wow….